Top 10 Game of Thrones Quotes
6 weeks and 3 days: the countdown to season 7 goes on, and many of us are binge re-watching the first six ones to refresh our memories… or just for pleasure.
Our favorite characters (well, the ones who are still alive) are going to be back soon with their remarkable assets and flaws, and also their talent for repartee.
Here is a little selection of their punchlines, the ones that are so good that we wish we could have an occasion to use them in real life. Enjoy.
1. "A man who must say: ‘I am the King’ is no true king." Tywin Lannister to Joffrey Baratheon
Being both an insane teenager and the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms is a deadly combination. King Joffrey was arguably the worst Westerosi king, so no wonder why his grandfather wanted him to get back down to Earth.
2. "No wonder you can't stand, you have no spine." Ellaria Sand to Doran Martell
Ellaria is definitely a bold and flint-hearted woman. She doesn’t hesitate to speak her true thoughts, even in front of a king. She sees Doran’s temperance as a sign of weakness, and let’s face it, people who are perceived as weak don’t survive long in Westeros.
3. "There’s no cure for being a cunt." Bronn about Joffrey Baratheon
Truer words have never been spoken in the Seven Kingdoms. Bronn both accepts and preaches harsh truths, and that’s why we like him.
Credit: The Telegraph
4. "I am not questioning your honor Lord Janos. I am denying its existence." Tyrion Lannister to Janos Slynt
Tyrion’s talent for repartee sure is something to be admired and envied. He seems to have no difficulty in coming up with the most scathing of comments, and derives much pleasure in delivering them to those who deserve to be put in their place.
Credit: Daily Express
5. "There are no men like me. There’s only me." Jaime Lannister to Catelyn Stark
A Lannister never loses his pride and confidence, even when he is a prisoner whose army has just been defeated.
6. "Nyke Daenerys Jelmāzmo hen Targārio Lentrot, hen Valyrio Uēpo ānogār iksan. Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa." Daenerys Targaryen to Kraznys mo Nakloz
This translates to: "I am Daenerys Stormborn from House Targaryen, from the blood of old Valyria. Valyrian is my native language."
It may sound more like a formal introduction than a punchline, but it’s just the way that Khaleesi chose to get back at Kraznys after being insulted several times while remaining silent. At this moment, he knew that he was about to face the consequences.
7. "You know nothing Jon Snow." Ygritte to Jon Snow
Ygritte grew up in a frozen and desolated land. She was the woman who couldn’t tell a mill from a castle, but she knew that short sentences could sometimes be the best put things into perspective. Her iconic line really had to be part of this top 10.
8. "If you ever call me ‘sister’ once again, I’ll have you strangled in your sleep." Cersei Lannister to Margaery Tyrell
A Lannister with the fierce heart of a lioness, this line presents Cersei just as we like to see her: confident of her status, and not willing to make compromises in relationships.
9. "All my life men like you have sneered at me, and all my life I’ve been knocking men like you into the dust." Brienne of Tarth to Jaime Lannister
An ode to girl power in a line that definitely sounds like a warning, Brienne is the proof that women can be knights in shining armors too.
Credit: Winter Is Coming
10. "I wasn’t playing. I don’t want to be a Lady." Arya Stark to Ned Stark
Swords are no toys to Arya. "Playing" isn’t the appropriate term in her case, "training" is, and luckily Ned was open-minded and considerate enough to understand and accept that.
The youngest Stark girl is an appreciated character for a reason. A strong feminine character is always a good thing to see in a popular TV show, but we can give her bonus points because of her young age, which makes her even more remarkable.
What has been your favorite line of the series so far? Let me know in the comments.